Saturday, October 24, 2009

SexyBack

I honestly truly believe Nigella Lawson is the sexiest woman on the planet. Listen to her talk about food. Watch her show and see her unabashedly sneak into her fridge in the middle of the night to have a snack.

In a day and age where everyone is concerned about what they eat, and the rules of staying skinny.. here is someone who still enjoys eating. How many of us enjoy what we eat completely? I know I feel guilty about some of my meals sometimes. Can we truly enjoy our meal if every bite causes us to count our calorie intake?

Nigella is on the cover of the current Chatelaine. In an interview they ask her "Did you read about the recent study that showed most women in the U.K. would prefer to have your hourglass figure?" she answers with "Yes, and I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I don't believe it. All women want to be thin, and I think they have such unrealistic views about how thin they want to be. I'm prepared to believe men like my figure, because I don't believe straight men like thin women."

First of all, I agree with her. I think that women who look at her find her sexy and think they wish they had her curves. Deep down though, those same women are swearing off red meat and putting hours in at the gym to look the exact opposite of Nigella.
I don't believe that straight men like thin women, but I will say that a real man likes a real woman. Whether that woman is naturally curvy or naturally thin. A woman who is obsessed with changing herself... not so attractive.
However I do love that she said straight men don't like thin women.

In Nigella's Feast book, she has a recipe for spaghetti carbonara. http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe_detail.aspx?rid=201
You can view the recipe there, but if you have a chance to read what she writes about it in the book, you really should. The recipe is in the section titled "Midnight Feasts", something Nigella is a fan of, and something most nutritionists would frown upon. Who asked them anyways?
Her instructions are to make this pasta for someone who you are involved with in a romantic way. (My G rating description). And that you are to make the pasta and bring the whole pot into bed. I chose to put some on a plate instead, but I did eat it in my pajamas while watching another Bruce Willis flick. (I really did think about heeding her advice and taking it to bed but I figured I would end up burned and sleeping in spilled pasta).
Nigella hit the nail on the head. The pasta is amazing. Of course when you put cream, cheese, bacon and pasta all in one dish it's hard to go wrong. I would recommend to let the pasta sit in the pot for about 10 minutes at room temp. This causes the sauce to thicken and stick to the pasta and it is AMAZING. Food can be sexy, and if you don't believe me try this dish and then tell me if I am wrong.


I'm telling you, MAKE THIS SPAGHETTI! (and use a heavy hand for the cheese and pepper).
Since it is low in vegetable content I made roasted onion to go with it. Peel and trim a couple red onions and slice into thick slices. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and brush olive oil on the onions. Season with salt and pepper and cover with foil. Bake in the oven @ 350 F for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 40. In the meantime boil 1/3 cup of balsamic vinegar until it's thick and syrupy. Transfer onions to a serving plate and spoon the vinegar over them. Top with slivered almonds. Also amazing. Although lately I have had an obsession with balsamic vinegar. My favorite way is to pour some balsamic vinegar onto a plate with some olive oil and dip artisan bread into it.


And since we're on the subject of sexy...

1 comment:

Adventures of the Homemaking Mommy said...

That spaghetti sounds yummy, I will have to try that!!!