Thursday, October 15, 2009

Only Time Will Tell

I love Nigella Lawson. Something about her seems so real. Most people on the cooking shows will try a bite of whatever they just made, and will claim it's delicious. (And it very well may be). Nigella will sneak down to her fridge in the middle of the night and eat it cold.
If you have ever read one of her cookbooks, she also doesn't just list ingredients and tell you how to put it together. Every recipe has an introduction of sorts, where she got the recipe, what she loves about it... Nigella is entertaining to watch and read.

I made Nigella's Pea Soup last night for dinner. (http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe_detail.aspx?rid=177)

I wanted to love it. I really did. However, I didn't. I think I put in too much mace. And there wasn't nearly enough stock. (not the recipe's fault... I used less than I should have). So this recipe is something I will make again. And I will post a picture of it when I am truly happy with it.

In the mean time. I made roasted garlic bread to go with it, and it was delicious. To make roasted garlic you:
1) Take an entire head of garlic, and cut off enough of the tips to expose all of the garlic cloves.
2) Place in foil (or a garlic roaster if you own one) and drizzle extra virgin olive oil on top, and season with salt and pepper
3) Place in an oven that has been preheated to 400 F, and bake for 35-40 min. The garlic is roasted when the tops are golden brown and soft.
4) Let the garlic cool. When you can handle the garlic, squeeze the bottom to force all the cloves out.

Roasted garlic can be used in a lot of things (pastas, soups, sauces...). And it can also be eaten as is. When the garlic is roasted it loses its strong, bitter taste and is sweet.
I put the roasted garlic in a food processor with softened butter and whipped it into garlic butter. Then I spread it onto two halves of a french bread loaf. I placed them in the oven under broil until they were browned. Delicious.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can vouch for the pea soup being really really good....so do try it again!

Rebekah A.d. said...

thank you "anon". I will try it again. Thanks for commenting!! you should make a profile and become a follower of mine. You don't have to use your real name!

Tante said...

I don't think you can do anything to pea soup to make it tasty... I say go back and do the steak again and forget all about pea soup!!

Rebekah A.d. said...

Ha ha! I do love steak