Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Cheeseburger

I got home from work yesterday and took off right away for the gym. I had a feeling if I waited until after supper, I would end up not going at all.
The gym can be good for my mood. Sometimes if I am in a bad mood, I go to the gym, I work out harder and I leave feeling good. Sometimes though people bother me enough that I end up leaving more angry then when I came in.
I have several gym pet peeves. Like people who don't wipe off the machines after they use them. While most people think that it's really gross, and maybe even think it's inconsiderate (which it is), I take it to a new level. I feel as though they think they are so much better than everyone. As if their sweat isn't as disgusting as the rest of us peons. Or they have time to work out for thirty or forty minutes, but taking fifteen seconds to wipe down the machine? They're too busy and important. There was a pregnant girl who I saw a few weeks in a row who never wiped down her machine. I nearly followed her once to remind her that just because she's pregnant doesn't exclude her from cleaning up after herself. (I'm a people person)
I also get bothered by people who don't dress gym appropriate. I have seen people workout in jeans. Last week I saw a guy in cargo shorts and a polo shirt. For heaven's sake, don't you own a pair of gym shorts? Or sweatpants?
The thing that bothers me the most though, is people who use the cardio machine right beside the one I'm using when the whole row is empty. I need space! (especially if it's some old creepy weirdo)

I got home from the gym and after I cleaned up, I started making cheeseburgers. To make the patties I mix an egg, package of ground beef (about a pound), and panko bread crumbs. If you have never used panko you should start. They are far superior to regular breadcrumbs, and can be found in the oriental section of the grocery store.
Divide the mix into 4. Shape into hamburger patties, and form a well in the middle. They should look similar to bird's nests, not donuts. Fill the well with grated cheddar cheese and chopped, cooked, bacon. Push the sides of the well in so you are left with what looks like hamburger patties.



Now people are expecting a boring tasting burger and when they bite into it SURPRISE! there's cheese and bacon.
Set a pan on the stove on med-high and pour in some oil. (Or use the bacon fat from when you made the bacon for the burgers). Brown one side of the burgers for a couple minutes, flip, and brown the other side. If the burgers start to burn before being cooked through, you can always put the pan into the oven at 350 F so they will finish by baking.
I topped mine with sauteed onions and my favorite mushrooms from Mastering the Art of French Cooking.


I am a burger master!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh boy.....I'm not even hungry and I want to eat that right now!

Rebekah A.d. said...

You have tasted them before though... not as good as these ones, but I make a mean burger