Monday, October 12, 2009

Rock Lobster

Well tonight I had dinner at my sister’s place. So instead of showing something I made tonight… I’ll go back to the weekend. My friend and I had been talking for a while about getting together to cook some shellfish. Shellfish cooking intimidates me, so I had figured that having my friend help might ease the intimidation.


Since I have just recently purchased Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking, I was really inspired to make many a dish from the book in the last week or so. We picked lobster thermidor.

We started out by going to a seafood store. We picked the lobsters that were fighting the most to stay alive. This is morbid, since the reason we were buying lobsters was to kill them.
Then we got lost while trying to find our way back. This kind of stuff happens to me all the time.

We began the lobster massacre when we finally arrived back at my place. We filled a large pot with wine, onions, and herbs. We each grabbed a lobster. I admit I hesitated before setting mine in the pot. He was flailing around like crazy. I imagined placing him in the pot, and then he would freak out and try and claw his way back out. He didn’t. He just sat in the vat of boiling wine. The other lobster went in quickly after him and they boiled to their delicious death.



Making the sauce for the lobster thermidor had many steps. Which I will not bore you with. It was very time consuming, but every single second was worth it. If you are wanting to make this wonderful dish you can view the recipe here:
But I suggest that you buy Mastering the Art of French Cooking. (Really really suggest it!)
In the end the lobster meat is stirred into the sauce and topped with cheese and then baked off in the oven. The final product looked like:

2 comments:

Tante said...

Did you steal that apron from Granny?

Rebekah A.d. said...

That's my friend "Anon"'s apron. I just have a boring one