Thursday, November 12, 2009

Nowhere With You

Earlier this week I had a craving for an Everyday Food recipe Lighter General Tso's Chicken. The chicken has a garlicky, almost sweet taste. The recipe can be made very quickly, and it is fairly healthy.

EF recommends you serve this with brown rice. That is crazy talk, since there is such a thing as fried rice. I googled easy fried rice recipes and looked through a bunch of them until I came up with one of my own inspired by what I saw. All of the recipes call for eggs. I love eggs, just not in my rice so I ommitted that ingredient.

I cooked up some jasmine rice and let it cool spread out on a baking sheet. In a large pan I heated some safflower oil. (Just enough to cover the pan). To the hot oil I added a cup of cold, cooked rice, soy sauce, and green onion. You could also add grated ginger, minced garlic, chopped carrots, frozen peas... the rice is your oyster. Though next time I make it I would add carrot and peas.
I fried the rice until it was heated through, and some of rice was getting a bit crispy. The end result was so tasty, and pretty. The rice took on a glossy sheen and I have not ever had better fried rice.
I also made pot stickers. They turned out less pretty, so I am not showing pictures until I have made them successfully. Which has happened before so I know it is possible!



You can note the following in the above pictures:
1) You can't see the pretty sheen of the rice that I mentioned
2) Those are square bowls. I purchased them last weekend at Crate and Barrel. The coolest store on Earth
3) I am very anal about presentation and wipe all the sides of the bowl down just like on Iron Chef America

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man - it is only 8:30 in the morning, and already that looks deelish!!

Rebekah A.d. said...

You had the chicken once at my place. But I served it with boring rice, not my new favorite thing fried rice

Tante said...

Fiestaware has square bowls now too in lovely colours...

Rebekah A.d. said...

You are a bad influence!!