Thursday, July 8, 2010

Guacamole Turkey Burgers



















When I was younger, there was no way I would ever put green mushy dip into my mouth and attempt to swallow and digest said mush. Little did I know, that avocados are one of the greatest things around. My friend C made guacamole for me once (well, for an entire party, but I was there) and I tried it, and it was to die for.
I have wrote about the guacamole here. If you haven't made it, you are missing out in a big way. Hands down the best guacamole ever.

I was craving guacamole the other day, but I wanted to do something more than just eat it with tortilla chips. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I do it all the time, but I was kind of bored of it.

Rebekah's Guacamole Turkey Burgers
Ingredients:
Guacamole
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 cup of crushed tortilla chips
1 egg
roughly a tbsp of either chili powder, or tex mex powder
tbsp oil
4 buns of some sort

To make:
1) prepare the guacamole and refrigerate. I find it tastes best after it's had a half hour to mingle
2) Mix the turkey, chip crumbs and egg together. Add the spice. I used tex mex, but chili powder would work. If you're feeling really crazy add one minced chipotle in adobo sauce. Separate the mix into four equal portions and flatten into patties
3) Preheat the oven to 350 F
4) In a large skillet over medium high, heat the oil. Add the patties and cook for roughly 4 minutes on each side. Mine were thick and were browning too fast so I stuck them in the oven to bake the rest of the way through. Cooking time may vary, in the end they are cooked when the juices no longer run pink
5) Toast the buns in the oven. I used whole wheat kaiser, but any bun that holds a burger is good
6) Remove buns from oven, place a patty on each one. Top them with a generous amount of guacamole.

Delicious!

No comments: