Thursday, July 15, 2010

Pulled Pork















I love love love cooking things in my slow cooker, or "the wife". Sometimes I can get stuck at work late, and it's nice knowing that I have supper waiting for me when I get home.
I have never made pulled pork before, I think this may be the first time I have used pork in my slow cooker. I found the recipe on Iowa Girl Eats. I used her basic recipe, but changed a couple things. (also click the "read more" for a faux ice cream recipe)
Pulled Pork adapted from Iowa Girl Eats

1) Pour 1/2 cup BBQ sauce and 1/2 cup of Coke Zero in the bottom of the slow cooker
2) Place a pork shoulder in the crock pot. IGE cut hers into big chunks before putting hers in, but I left mine whole.
3) Season the shoulder generously with garlic salt.
4) Pour in enough Coke Zero to nearly cover the shoulder, In total I used about 1 litre of Coke Zero.
5) Set the slow cooker on low, and let cook for at least 8 hours.
6) Remove pork and discard the sauce.
7) using a fork, shred the pork
8) In a saucepan heat 1/4 cup of the same BBQ sauce and 1/2 cup or so of Coke Zero. Let boil for a few minutes, then pour over the shredded pork
9) Toast as many buns as you like. Place some shredded pork onto each bun, and drizzle with some more BBQ sauce if you like.
Depending on the size of the shoulder, you should be able to get at least 6 or 7 servings from the meat. Mine will get that, and I used a fairly small shoulder.

Overall I thought this was pretty good. The meat was super tender and delicious. I had tried a different whole wheat bun than usual though, and it wasn't as good as the ones I usually get. I served this with canned brown beans. (It may not be gourmet, but I like them!)

For dessert I made a faux ice cream. I got the idea from (never home) maker.
To make this healthy "ice cream":
1) Peel and cut 2 bananas into chunks. Freeze the chunks overnight
2) Place the frozen banana chunks into a blender or food processor
3) Add 2 tbsp of peanut butter, and 1 tbsp of cocoa powder. Process until smooth


















I don't like bananas very much, but this was really tasty. The cocoa powder adds a great chocolate taste, without adding calories (well it adds 10, but that's close to nothing!), and the consistency is very similar to ice cream. It was guilt free, and also was more filling than regular ice cream.
Delicious!

5 comments:

Kassandra said...

Yum! I need to try the faux ice-cream!

Rebekah A.d. said...

Yes you do! It's so good, and good for you at the same time. It's a really good sub for actual ice cream

Tante said...

Coleslaw on a pulled pork sammie is D-Lish...

Rebekah A.d. said...

Bleh. Not for me

Gerri said...

Okay! I'm going to have to try that ice cream thing. Does it matter how ripe the bananas are?