Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Stromboli

It's very rare for me to eat something that is so good, I have to make it the next day as well. My friend A made us calzones one night, that were so delicious I was inspired to make them for dinner the next night. Calzones are a delicious pizza type product, but with no sauce on the inside. Strombolis have sauce in them, and a lot of people mistakenly refer to strombolis as calzones.
A's calzone had a filling of spinach, green pepper, red pepper, green onion, mushrooms, ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese. I wanted to make them exactly the same, only my grocery store was out of ricotta, so I changed my plans and made strombolis instead.
The picture above is not a stromboli, obviously. After the jump I have included pictures of the stromboli, and the recipe for the spinach salad pictured at the top of the post.

Rebekah's Stromboli
makes 4
Ingredients:
C's Pizza Dough (substituting half of the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour)
pizza sauce (home made or store bought, I used store bought for mine)
red bell pepper, diced
orange bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
handful of mushrooms, sliced
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
oil for brushing

Preheat oven to 425 F
1) Separate C's pizza dough into four, and roll out into rounds (like mini pizzas)
2) Spread sauce around each of the rounds, leaving about an inch crust around the outside (the amount of sauce is up to your preference)
3) Divide the veggies evenly between the 4 rounds. You can use any veggies you like, mine are just a suggestion
4) Divide the cheese evenly amongst the rounds
5) Fold one half over the other half. You should now have four half moon shapes. To get the edges to stick together pinch the crust with your fingers and gently fold the crust up and then press down.
6) Place the strombolis on an oiled baking sheet, and brush the tops of them with oil. Use a knife to cut about 3 slits in the top of each to allow steam to escape. Place the sheet in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes, until the strombolis are a golden brown.
Very delicious!

The strawberry spinach salad at the top was made by taking spinach leaves and topping them with sliced strawberries, sliced red onion, and slivered almonds. The red onion pairs wonderfully with the strawberries, and the salad is very very tasty. I was going to be lazy and top it with a store bought raspberry vinaigrette, but I forgot to buy it so I made my own. And was I ever glad I did!

Raspberry Vinaigrette (recipe came from HERE)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/3 cup fresh raspberries
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup olive oil
Blend all the ingredients together until smooth.

The dressing will be a very opaque shade of pink, but don't let that deter you from making it. The dressing is sweet and tangy and compliments the salad very well.

No comments: