Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Macho Man

These past couple weeks for me have been insane. Between having longer hours at work, and having too many unavoidable plans lately, I haven't had much time for anything else like my blog or housework. (If you think I have been neglecting my blog, you should see my apartment). I'm starting to panic a little, I have family that will be spending the weekend at my place and it needs to be cleaned, scrubbed, and bedding needs to be washed. Not too mention I still have to finish Christmas shopping and wrap all my presents... The list goes on. Sorry for the lack of regular posts!
Back to blogging, I did have a request the other day for nachos. Not from someone who wanted me to make them nachos, but a request for me to blog about them.
(I'm reminded right now of one of my sisters who tells this terrible joke every time nachos are mentioned. "What do you call cheese that is not yours?" "Nacho cheese!" I supposed this is cute the first time you hear it, but after the hundredth time it gets old).
Nachos are great, they are so versatile, nearly anything can go on nachos. I personally like ground beef, bell peppers, green onion, tomatoes, jalapenos and cheddar cheese on mine. The great thing about nachos is it's all about personal preference. If you don't like spicy foods, omit the jalapenos. If you don't like cheddar you can use Monterrey jack, pepper jack, or whatever cheese you do like. Any vegetable or topping can work. Add olives if you like. This is uncommon in restaurant nachos but even black beans or kidney beans work.

I made nachos the other day. I browned ground beef, and once cooked I added taco seasoning. I placed a layer of multi grain taco chips on a baking sheet and topped it with the taco beef. I topped that with cheddar cheese. I sprinkled on chopped white onions, tomatoes and Thai red bird chilies. I had intended on adding chopped yellow bell pepper, but forgot it in my fridge. I would have preferred to add sliced green or pickled jalapenos, but I had the Thai chilies on hand.

The nachos were very delicious nonetheless, after I had baked them, until the cheese melted, at 350 F.
I served them with salsa and guacamole. The guacamole was made by my friend, but I use the same recipe, which is below (in my own words)


Guacamole
Ingredients: avocados, red onion, tomato, chile, garlic clove, limes, cilantro
The recipe instructions are for making guacamole using 2 large-ish avocados
1) I start by chopping about a half cup (maybe a bit more) of red onion, and tossing it into a bowl
2) I cut a tomato in half, and scoop out the innards. I dispose of the innards. I use Roma tomatoes for guacamole, but a small hothouse, or a tomato from the vine would work too. I chop the tomato halves and add them to the chopped onion.
3) I mince the garlic clove and add it to the bowl.
4) I halve the chile and remove the ribs and seeds. I then dispose of the ribs and seeds. I use Thai red bird chilies (just one) in my guacamole, but a green jalapeno or even a habanero works. I chop the chile into fine pieces and add it to the bowl.
5) I halve the avocados and dispose of the pit. I use a spoon to scoop out the avocado meat onto my cutting board, and then I mash it with a fork. I add the mash to the bowl and stir it up.
6) I add the juice of two limes to the mix and stir that in, followed by a bit of salt.
7) anyone who likes cilantro can add some of it (chopped) at this point. I do not.

My friend tops hers with some reserved tomatoes and onion for a garnish.

To make more, you would use more of everything. I find a good rule to follow is one lime per avocado in the guacamole. If you do not like chunky bits of onion and tomato in it, you can puree the whole mix in a food processor. If you are curious about what avocados are ripe, they will have black skin and should be soft to the touch. If the avocado is hard, it's not ripe yet. If it's really soft, it's also no good.
I warn you, the guacamole is crave inducing. A lot of times in the summer when I don't feel like cooking, I just make a bowl of guacamole for supper.

No comments: