Monday, April 4, 2011

Rebekah's Pizza Muffins















The second time that I had met my friend J was at her apartment. There was a bunch of us there, and someone ordered pizza for everyone. When the pizza arrived I took a seat right beside it and quickly polished off 3 slices, pineapple free. J's boyfriend then motioned for me to have another piece (unaware that I had already ate 3) as he took a bite of the last slice without pineapple. I said "You're eating the last piece without pineapple" and he jokingly handed me the piece that he had already taken a couple bites of. I took it, and ate it, much to his surprise.
This is his favorite story to tell people. I think partly because I have an enormous appetite for pizza, but also because he is still surprised that I had ate that piece, given that I didn't know him very well at the time.
If soul mates are real, I feel that mine is pizza.
I made these pizza muffins the other night. The inspiration came from this pizza, and Gimme Some Oven's pizza puffs.

Rebekah's Pizza Puffs
Makes 12

Ingredients:
C's Pizza Dough
1 lb ground chicken
1 medium to large onion, diced
2 chipotles in adobo, minced
1 tsp adobo sauce (from the can that had the chipotles)
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese. 
Pico de Gallo, for serving

Directions:
1) Prepare the pizza dough, and let rise for an hour. Preheat the oven to 425 F once the dough has risen.
2) Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook the ground chicken. Once it is cooked, add the minced onion and saute for a minute, or until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the chipotles and adobo sauce and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
3) Divide the pizza dough into 12 equal portions. Take a standard size muffin pan and spray it with cooking spray. Place a portion of the pizza dough into each of the muffin cups. Press the dough up the sides so that you have 12 "cups" of pizza dough.
4) Fill each muffin cup with the chicken mixture and top with cheese. Bake in the oven until the dough is golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 15-20 minutes.



















These were such a cute way to eat pizza. I found them to be pleasantly warm, but my sister found them "very spicy", but she's too senstive to that sort of thing. They must be served with the pico de gallo, it really takes them from being good to being amazing.

An inside view of the pizza muffin. So good!

No comments: