Thursday, April 14, 2011

Worth Every Penne















I have some awful news. My condo board has kicked my dog out of my apartment. It's a long story, and it's due partially to a misunderstanding on my part, but also partially because my condo board is evil. After all, how could you evict something that is as adorable as this:














Sigh. If any of you are wondering, it was not from a noise complaint. My dog is mostly well behaved at home, and she's way quieter than the girl who yells at her boyfriend every single night. The point of my story is that I was left with the options of getting rid of my dog, or moving. I'm choosing to move, and currently have my apartment listed for sale. This is a very stressful and busy time for me, which means I will be blogging even less. I will try to as much as possible, but please bear with me for the time being.
For now, this pasta recipe comes from my Aunt G. I prepped, cooked and ate this meal within 35 minutes, which means it is a fantastic recipe for the weeknight.

Worth Every Penne
serves 4

Ingredients
3 cups dry penne noodles
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 red pepper, diced

1 yellow pepper, diced
1 red onion, diced
1 c mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp pesto
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 c cooked chicken, cut up
½ tsp black pepper
1/2 cup of feta cheese, crumbled (or more, if you are like me and love feta)

1) In a large pot of boiling water, cook the penne according to directions on the box.
2) Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat the oil over medium high. Add the peppers, onion and mushrooms and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
3) In a bowl mix the honey, pesto and vinegar.
4) When the pasta is finished, drain and return to pot. Toss with the vegetables, sauce and chicken. Top with the feta cheese crumbles.
 
I didn't have any chicken on hand, so I didn't use it. I also used 1.5 tbsp of honey and pesto, and 3 tbsp of vinegar. I would add a little more vinegar the next time, but only because I'm crazy about it. Overall, this is a really yummy pasta, and I can't believe how fast it came together.

3 comments:

Erika said...

You forgot to say your sister told you to make this because you would love it and she was correct.

Gerri said...

And you really HAVE to add the chicken next time! It is awesome with the pesto and feta!

Rebekah A.d. said...

I'm sorry Erika!
I will add chicken next time, I'll make it on a night that I'm not running off to meet someone at the gym!