Monday, March 28, 2011

Spinach and Feta Macaroni and Cheese















I love feta. I guess when it comes down to it, I really just love cheese, but feta comes pretty close to being my favorite. I found this recipe on FoodGawker, while searching for a pasta made with feta. The whole dish can be made fairly quick, it took me just over the amount of time it took to cook the pasta. On a weeknight that is definitely something I appreciate.

Spinach and Feta Macaroni and Cheese
courtesy of Babble
serves 10-12

Ingredients:
5 cups fresh spinach

juice of 1 lemon
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour
3 1/2 cups milk
2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1 1/2 cups cheddar, shredded
3/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
1 pound macaroni-style pasta or cut spaghetti, cooked to al dente

Directions:
1) Toss lemon juice and spinach. Heat in microwave or over stove in a small saucepan just until it starts to wilt. Set aside.
2) Over medium heat, melt butter in a large saucepan. Whisk in flour and continue cooking for 3 minutes until lightly browned.
3) Slowly whisk in milk and add in salt and oregano. Begin adding cheddar in small amounts, stirring until melted between each addition. When all the cheese is melted stir in the feta.
4) Mix in cooked macaroni and spinach. Serve immediately sprinkled with extra feta if desired.

Delicious! If you are a big feta fan like myself, you will love this. The only thing I would have done differently is cut my spinach into ribbons. I am not a huge fan of cooked spinach, so I didn't like have large bites of cooked spinach in it. The smaller pieces were fine, and they tasted strongly of lemon which cut the saltiness of the feta.

No comments: