Friday, February 4, 2011

Twice Baked Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
















A few weeks ago I had twice baked stuffed potatoes at my friend C's house. They were delicious, I could have ate at least 4 of them. The other night I wanted to recreate the recipe, but this time using the vitamin laden sweet potato.

Rebekah's Twice Baked Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
serves 4

Ingredients:
2 large sweet potatoes
3 strips of bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup plain yogurt (sour cream would work as well)
juice of 1 lime
2 tsp chili powder (add more to taste)
4 green onions, white and green parts sliced thinly
1/2 cup (or so) grated cheddar cheese

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 F.
2) Cut the sweet potatoes in half, lengthwise. Place each potato half, inside side facing up, on a baking sheet. Bake for roughly 45 minutes, until the flesh is easily pierced with a fork
3) Meanwhile, cook the bacon until browned and crisp in a skillet. Set aside to drain on a paper towel.
4) Mix the remaining ingredients in a medium to large bowl.
5) When the potatoes are tender, remove from oven and let cool slightly. Use a spoon or melon baller to remove the flesh, leaving enough to form a canoe-like bowl. (If you remove too much flesh, you won't be able to stuff it)
6) Mix the removed flesh with the yogurt mixture. Once combined, spoon it equally into the potato boats.
7) Place the stuffed skins back in the oven for about 20 minutes

I can't get over how much I love sweet potatoes. The first time I tried them, I hated them. Now I can't get enough. I love the chili powder and lime juice combination with sweet potatoes. Very delicious!

No comments: