Monday, February 28, 2011

Pork Fried Rice















I'm beginning to think I should just name this blog after Everyday Food. Most of the recipes that I cook come from there. I can't stop recommending this publication. (They don't even pay me for my glowing reviews, I honestly just think everyone should buy it) By now, if you haven't listened to me and picked up an issue, it's about time you do!

Pork Fried Rice
by Everyday Food
serves 4

Ingredients
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp plus 1/4 tsp soy sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp minced, peeled fresh ginger (I keep ginger in my freezer, it's easier to grate, and I just leave the peel on)
1 bunch scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
1/2 ground pork
2 carrots, shredded
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 cups cooked white rice (about 3/4 cup uncooked)  The rice should be cooled before using
2 tbsp rice vinegar

Directions:
1) In a wok or large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil over high. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs with 1/4 tsp soy sauce to combine. Add eggs to wok and swirl to coat bottom of pan. Cook, without stirring, until almost set, 1 minute, then fold in thirds with a spatula. Transfer cooked eggs to a work surface and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.

2) Add 1 tbsp oil to wok and swirl to coat. Add garlic, ginger, and scallion whites and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add pork and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add carrots, peas and rice and stir to combine. Add cooked egg, 2 tbsp soy sauce, and vinegar and cook, stirring constantly, until rice is coated, about 1 minute. Let cook, undisturbed, until warm, about 1 minute. Top with scallion greens and serve.

This fried rice comes in at approximately 411 calories per serving, which is fantastic. I made this meal at my sister's house and my niece loved it so much she had three helpings. (Which turned out to be too much for her, she was sick later)
My brother in law liked it so much he asked for the recipe, and usually he gives reviews like "it's not bad" or "it's alright".
I really enjoyed it. So easy to make, low in calories, and tasted good. I can't ask for much more than that.

No comments: