Friday, April 9, 2010

Gluten Free Pasta



My friend K is one of the greatest friends anyone could ask for. The thing I love most about her (and slightly hate at times) is that she is always honest. She will never tell you what you want to hear, she will tell you what you need to hear. I also consider her my blog's biggest fan, in fact this is what she wrote about it (and me) on Facebook.
"Okay, so my best girl Rebek has a blog, for those of you who have never read it you need to. She is amazing, funny, loves cooking and is pretty stinking hot to boot!" All true. Except on a Saturday night when I am home by myself.
Recently K found out she was gluten intolerant. One of the biggest misconceptions I had about gluten intolerance was that it should be easy to stay away from gluten. I mean, really, all you can't have is bread.
Wrong. Gluten is in EVERYTHING. K has to check the labels of everything that she buys. Gluten is found in soy sauce for heaven's sake!
Because K is such a huge supporter of mine (and goes around pimping my blog all the time) I thought I would do a week of gluten free recipes. I really thought this would be simple, but upon realizing how hard it would be I gave up. (Sorry K). When I mentioned this to her, she decided that she would help me out by posting her gluten free recipes on Facebook.
The pasta above is the first recipe that she posted and the link can be found here.
I could have cheated and used a pasta that I had at home, but I decided to go all out and use a gluten free pasta. There was no difference in taste or texture, just the price. Frankly I think it's ridiculous that gluten free product is so expensive, the people who need it can't eat delicious gluten and that is punishment in itself, why add salt to an open wound by overcharging them?
The recipe called for sun dried tomatoes, and I used jarred sun dried tomatoes in oil. The recipe also includes some 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, and I used 1 tbsp of olive oil, and 1 tbsp of the oil from the sun dried tomatoes.
I am always really unhappy with the basil at the grocery store. It costs roughly $2 for a small pack, and most of the time it is wilted. This reminds me that it's almost farmer's market season, and I can't wait to get my hands on some decent fresh basil. In the meantime, Sobeys has come out with refrigerated seasoning pastes. They come in different flavors, and so far I have bought the red chili, and the basil ones. I used the basil paste instead of the fresh basil that the recipe called for.

Overall I really enjoyed the pasta. It would be a great meal in the summer, since it doesn't require turning on the oven, just turning a pot of water on to boil. I didn't use the same amount of olives since I have a slight aversion to them, but I didn't mind the small amount that I used.
K had to say this about the pasta, "I was a little nervous about this one, I had never tried sun dried tomatoes before and was not sure that I would like them, however it was very very good, I froze the rest for lunches, and I am sure it will be even better once I re-heat and all the feta melts into yummy melty goodness!"

5 comments:

Erika said...

do you like the squeeze tube herbs?

Tante said...

Can you use the squeeze tube herbs if you run out of toothpaste?

Rebekah A.d. said...

I do like them. Once summer hits and I can buy fresh herbs, I would still prefer them, but the squeeze tubes are good in a pinch. Except for toothpaste. I can't imagine that would be good

Dawn said...

Have you ever tried the frozen ice cube herbs? Aside from looking like frog food they're pretty good too as long as you put them in something that will be cooked... Also neat is a tiny kitchen herb garden! Basil is so hard to kill!

Rebekah A.d. said...

You don't know me very well. I kill cacti. Plants of any sort do not live around me