Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Fajitas


I don't know what is wrong with me, but I have had a lot of motivation recently to work out. Yesterday morning I even rolled out of bed at 5:30 am, got dressed and went for a jog. Sure, what actually happened was more like a brisk walk with bursts of jogging, but I at least was moving. I plan to jog, or "jog", before work a few times a week to build up more endurance.
Then I got the crazy idea to go to the gym after work. My gym had been bought by another company a few months ago, and my scan card still said the old name. I very sheepishly handed my card to the desk girl and said "I haven't been here in a while" NO JUDGEMENT.
Anyways, I am really excited that I have the motivation to work hard at getting into shape, and have been trying to cut down on the less healthy foods I eat.
Monday night I made fajitas. I had intended on using skirt or flank steak, but when I was at the grocery store a really beautiful New York striploin caught my eye and I couldn't say no. I used the spice rub that was in this Everyday Food recipe. (I still do not have brown sugar at home, so I omitted it). I used a very small amount of olive oil to coat both sides of the steak, and rubbed in the spice rub. I used a non stick spray on my skillet and cooked the steak 3 minutes per side on medium high heat (for medium rare). I took the steak out of the skillet, and placed it on a plate under foil, to rest for 5 minutes. LET YOUR MEAT REST, PEOPLE! I have said it before, if you let your meat rest for 5 minutes after cooking, it will taste so much better!
In the same skillet I poured a very small amount of olive oil, and added an onion that I had peeled, halved, and sliced thinly. Once the onion had sauteed for about two minutes, I added a sliced red bell pepper and sauteed until just warmed through. When I am eating fajitas I like the peppers and onions to still have a crunch to them. If you like yours overcooked and limp, keep cooking them until they become that way.
I sliced the steak thinly, and removed the excess fat. I took a whole wheat tortilla and topped it with 1/4 of the meat, 1/4 of the red bell pepper (capsicum) and onion mix, some salsa and a sprinkling of low fat cheddar cheese. I ate two of these for dinner, and two for lunch the next day.
They were delicious. The meat was spicy and tasted 100 times better than using a store bought fajita seasoning.

3 comments:

Erika said...

Have you ever met a man you like better then a good steak?

Rebekah A.d. said...

I believe you know the answer to that, no

Erika said...

It's hard to top a good steak