Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Magical Steak



I had C over for dinner the other night. Back when we made our seafood feast, we had intended to make crab won tons, but we ran out of time and stomach space. We nixed the crab won tons, and put the crab meat in the freezer to use another day. So the other night I decided to make them to go along with an Asian flavoured steak.
I made the filling, which was a simple mix of green onion, cream cheese, ginger and crab meat. I had taken the won ton wrappers out of the freezer the night before and placed them in my fridge. I set up my won ton building station and went to pull off the first won ton sheet from the pile. It didn't budge. I picked up the pile and tried to separate any of the wrappers. They wouldn't come apart. I'm getting frustrated with these, and finally C says "that looks like puff pastry". Then it hit me, the last time I used puff pastry, I only needed half the pack and I had frozen the rest in a freezer bag. Sure enough, I was trying to tear apart puff pastry. (In my defense they look similar in their frozen state)
We quickly ran out to the store to pick up won ton wrappers. Luckily, T&T Supermarket stocks refrigerated ones that wouldn't need to thaw overnight.
Once the won tons were assembled, they are fried for a small amount of time (I used canola oil) until golden brown and crisp. I served them alongside VH Thai Market Sweet Thai Chili Sauce. The recipe for the won tons can be found here.



I really liked these. The filling was super quick and easy to make. The sauce was perfect with them. And if you make more than what you plan to eat that night, place them (raw, not fried!) on a baking sheet in the freezer, until frozen and then place them in a freezer bag until you want to cook them. I know this isn't a healthy dish, but everything in moderation right?
The steak is one of my all time favorite steak recipes. C's mom served this once, and I could have eat about 10 lbs worth of it. It's an Asian style marinade, and I placed the steak in the marinade overnight in my fridge. This will turn the steak from bright red, to an unappealing grayish brown color, but it is so so so worth it.
When C's mom made this, the steak was magical. I am not exaggerating. I don't have a BBQ, so I cooked it on my stove top grill pan. The end result wasn't as good as the one I first had, and I think it was because it wasn't done on a BBQ. However, it was still pretty good. Not too mention flank steak is a pretty cheap cut of meat, that tastes best if it has been marinating in something overnight.
The steak is topped with gomashio (according to the recipe title) or gomasio (how it is spelled according to Google). Which is a mix of toasted sesame seeds and sea salt that have been partially ground in a mortar and pestle.
The recipe can be found here. I changed a couple things, like marinating it overnight instead of 3 or 4 hours, and instead of sambal oelek, I used Sriracha sauce. I didn't make the asparagus in the recipe either.
To round off the meal I served it with a Dole Salad Kit. Specifically, the Asian Island Crunch one. Usually I will make my own salad and dressing, but I was feeling lazy and overall I have enjoyed the salad kits that Dole makes. The dressings are tasty, and they include great toppings for the salad, like the Asian one comes with dried pineapple chunks.

Tasty!

No comments: