Monday, April 5, 2010

Mini Meatloaves


Almost every day I check my blog stats to see how many readers I have, and where they are from. Not surprisingly, most of them are in Calgary or Edmonton. (Thank you, my friends and family) Recently I noticed that someone from New York was reading my blog regularly. I was really excited to have a reader I don't know, until I remembered my aunt, Tante, was visiting New York. Thank you Tante for checking this so regularly.
Pictured above is the Mini Meatloaves I made last week, well one of them. The recipe is courtesy of Everyday Food. As always, I tweaked the recipe a little. EF calls for adding cheese in the meat mix, and topping the mini loaves with more cheese. I omitted the cheese because I don't feel that it adds enough taste to justify the added calories.
I went to make the honey mustard ketchup topping, and noticed I was out of mustard. So I figured I would use a ketchup and brown sugar mix, only I was out of brown sugar. So I searched my fridge and found a VH Thai Market Sweet Chili Sauce and spooned that on top of the mini loaves.
Turns out, it was delicious. I have also made these before with the honey mustard mix in the recipe and that was also delicious.
I served it alongside some frozen corn, which I thawed in a strainer by running it under cold water, and then warmed it up in a sauce pan with a small amount of margarine. I also served it with a potato dish of my mom's called Hot Potato Salad.
To make it, you take some potatoes, peel them and chop them into large chunks. Place in a pot with whole eggs and set to boil. The eggs are removed once the water has boiled for 10 minutes. (The eggs should now be hard boiled) When the potatoes are fork tender, drain them. Place the potatoes back in the pot. Shell the eggs and place them back in the pot. Mash. Add some Miracle Whip and pepper. Mix.
I used two potatoes. I wanted to use two eggs, but one was stuck in the carton and as I applied force to remove it, I cracked it open. I used maybe a 1/4 cup of Miracle Whip. To make more, I would keep the potato to egg ratio at 1:1. Add the Miracle Whip to taste. Delicious. As a kid I grossed out my entire family by pouring Kraft's Catalina dressing on top. I swear it tastes ridiculously good.

6 comments:

Erika said...

Do not listen to her, keep your potatoes tasty by omitting her idea of catalina on top. You will wish you listened to me if you do try it.

Tante said...

Yes I have been checking your blog from NYC (which has been crazy fun and a wee bit exhausting). Your meatloaf looks very lovely, how is it on a sammy as the next day?

Rebekah A.d. said...

The Catalina is good Erika! I didn't have it as a sammy the next day, I heated up another one and ate it as a meatloaf. I froze 2 others though, so maybe I will have one of them as a sammy.

Tante said...

Leftover meatloaf makes the best sammy ever!!! And we are now in Buffalo or there abouts...

Anonymous said...

Wrong. You are not out of brown sugar,you just left your bag at my house.

Rebekah A.d. said...

Weirdly enough, that's also where my mustard is