Monday, February 8, 2010

Tomato Soup

I had a setback this weekend in regards to my "down sizing". I had a bunch of friends in town, and we went out to a couple restaurants over the weekend. Although last night I did summon enough willpower to do a pilates workout at home, and I did drink more water than I usually do on weekends.
Edmonton has been sort of grey and dreary lately. Yesterday after everyone had left, I felt like making something along the lines of comfort food. My mom used to make tomato soup with pasta when I was younger. She used a can of condensed tomato soup, added a can of milk instead of the water the instructions called for, and at the end added cooked elbow macaroni.
Yesterday, using an Everyday Food recipe, I made my own version of tomato soup with pasta. The Classic Tomato Soup, is almost as easy to make as a canned soup. It requires chopping up an onion, and opening a can of tomato pasta, and a can of tomatoes. I used an immersion blender to puree the whole amount of soup (I do not like chunks of tomatoes), and I added some cooked, whole wheat rotini when the soup was finished. The next time I make it I will use a smaller pasta like elbow macaroni, or small shells.
Overall I like the taste of the soup. I feel better eating a soup that the ingredients are butter, olive oil, onion, tomato paste, tomatoes, and thyme, rather than one that says condensed on the can. (Although I still sometimes make that as well)

No comments: