Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Not Really Nigella's

First of all, I have to talk about something unrelated to food. I have been obsessed with the Olympics, since they started I haven't been able to turn my TV off Olympic coverage. I am also newly obsessed with Alexandre Bilodeau.

He is the first Canadian athlete to win a gold medal on Canadian soil. How awesome is that?

Now the food. Last week I was making recipes from Nigella Express, which has now given me some inspiration to get more use out of my cookbooks. This might sound weird, given that cookbooks are inanimate objects, but sometimes I think that ones that don't get used much start to feel neglected. To fix this, every so often I will be picking a cookbook and for a week only making recipes from that book.
I don't feel I did the Nigella Express much justice, so I will be revisiting it in the future. I only made a few recipes and I can't really claim that the following meal was Nigella's. She has a recipe in the Express book for Italian Sausages in Tomato Sauce with Polenta. To me, polenta sounds like wet cornmeal pudding, and is completely unappetizing. I know that I should try it, since it's not right to judge something without trying it, but I can't bring myself to do it. I like my polenta in the cornmeal muffin form. So I took out the polenta and swapped it with pasta. Nigella also calls for a mix of jarred tomato sauce, and jarred chili sauce. She insists on it being extremely high quality, and the only chili sauce Sobeys had was made by Heinz. Doesn't exactly scream high quality goodness. So I just bought a jar of tomato sauce. I also added some Parmesan cheese at the end because I was having a really hard time taking a picture of this dish that didn't look like it should be rated NC-17.

Rebekah's Really Easy Pasta Dish
1) Heat some oil in a deep skillet and brown a package of Italian sausages, until they are brown on all sides.
2) Add 3 or so tbsp of Marsala wine to the skillet and cook for about a minute or two
3) Add a jar of good quality tomato/spaghetti sauce. (No, I am not a fan of using jarred sauces. Making your own tomato sauce is pretty easy, but we were going for really simple here)
4) Simmer until the sausage are cooked. This took about 15 minutes or so for me, so in the meantime cook some pasta according to the package directions.
5) Place the pasta and a plate and top with the sauce and sausages. Top those with some grated Parmesan cheese (not from a shaker), and fresh ground pepper.

I would say that it was tasty, even with using a jarred sauce. It's a good meal to make when you have very little time to put something together.

No comments: