Thursday, February 11, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie, But Better

Growing up, there was a lot of food I couldn't stand, chicken pot pie being one of them. Some members of my family thought a great meal was heating up some frozen chicken (or beef) pot pies found ready-made in the frozen aisle of the grocery store. Bleh.
I have major chicken issues. I will not eat chicken in canned soups, or frozen meals. You cannot convince me that it's actually chicken and not some rubber byproduct. Combine that with a sludgey cream, and some carrots that are square (did I mention I also cannot eat the frozen vegetable medley? You know, the one with green beans, peas, corn and square carrots? Gives me the heebie jeebies) and you have a meal that gives me nightmares.
Homemade chicken pot pie is slightly better. I will actually eat it, possibly enjoy it, but I would much rather have something else, like a steak in butter sauce. However, I did made something similar to chicken pot pie the other night, only it's a 1000 times better.
Since this is "Redeem Nigella Lawson from the Crappy Review the Hacks Anna and Kristina Gave Her Week", this recipe is from Nigella Express. Chicken, Mushroom and Bacon Pie. Even the name sounds better the Chicken Pot Pie. Cut up chicken breast, chopped mushrooms, cooked bacon, and thyme make the filling. The sauce is made with a bit of flour, chicken stock, and 2 tbsp of wine.
Let me tell you, I would much rather have bacon than square carrots any day. The crust is actually a puff pastry topping. If you click Nigella's link it will show you what the puff pastry should look like. Mine was somewhat pretty, I guess, but it had sunk into the bowl and didn't puff a lot. I am excited to show off my pretty french onion soup bowls that I bought before LeGnome (r.i.p.) shut down.
A peek at the filling:
If I had to tally a score I would say Nigella got a point for this dish, and also for the salmon so the score as of this moment is:
Nigella 2
A&K -2 (they lose a point every time Nigella gains one)

No comments: