Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Gouda & Proscuitto Pizza

In all the time that I have been writing this blog, I can't believe I have never talked about my favorite website, Food Gawker. Food Gawker is a website that has tons of photos that various food bloggers send in. If you click on the picture it will bring you to their blog post that (hopefully) has the recipe.
I love this website, when I am feeling uninspired, and not sure what to make for dinner, I am guaranteed to find something I want to try on there. On Monday I had made a pot roast, and was planning on making a stroganoff type dish with the leftovers. However, yesterday I didn't feel like eating beef (no, hell has not frozen over), and while cruising Food Gawker I found this, flat bread pizza with prosciutto and Gouda.
Off topic, I figured since Food Gawker was such a good idea, that maybe someone who is really smart started a Firefighter Gawker. No such luck.
Pizza time. I used a Gouda that was at Sobeys. Terrible idea, the cheese was the worst Gouda I have ever had, and I have had a lot of Gouda in my lifetime. Ain't Dutch, ain't much. The next time I make this pizza I will be sure to visit Ben the Dutch Butcher, to pick up the cheese.
Instead of making dough, I used a frozen pizza crust that I had bought at an Italian store in Edmonton. I topped it with grated Gouda (or not so good-a), some thinly sliced prosciutto, and thinly sliced red onions that I had cooked down in olive oil.
The recipe called for topping the pizza with some salad greens. If you know me at all, you know that I think that is ridiculous. Greens are for salads, not pizza.
Some of you might be wondering what the brown drizzle is, it's called heaven. Or balsamic glaze. To make it, I boiled balsamic vinegar on the stove until it became thick and syrupy. So good.
I really liked this pizza, bad Gouda and all. The prosciutto becomes crispy in the oven, the onions aren't overpowering, and how do you not love something covered in balsamic vinegar?

1 comment:

Tante said...

Hi Rebek... I saw somewhere about raspberries drizzled with balsamic glaze.