Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Too Much

A movie that I really enjoy is My Big Fat Greek Wedding. If you aren't familiar with it, the movie is about a woman, Toula, who is from a large Greek family, who pressures her to marry a nice Greek boy, and make lots of Greek babies. Toula ends up meeting and falling for a man who is not Greek, to the dismay of her entire family. One of my favorite parts is when Toula's aunt invites Toula and Ian (the non-Greek) for dinner. Toula says to her "He's a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat". And the aunt looks horrified (as would I) and says "He don't eat no meat? It's ok I make lamb".
The other day I was talking to someone I work with and I had asked if he was going to have a turkey dinner for Christmas and he said no because his wife was a vegetarian. It took all my will power not to say "She don't eat no meat?"
I am a carnivore through and through. I can't think of very many meals of mine that don't contain an animal of some sort, my very favorite being beef. Last weekend was a good weekend for beef. On Friday night I went to dinner at The Keg, which is one of my all time favorite places to eat. I ordered the prime rib. On Saturday I had my friend and her family over for dinner and I served Beef Bourguignon. That same family invited me over on Sunday for prime rib. By Monday I was feeling a little beefed-out and was planning on making chicken. Then I saw a recipe for chimichangas and I had to make it, so once again I had beef. I drew inspiration from the recipe I had found, and changed it enough that I can call this one my own.
Chimichangas
To make the filling:
1) I browned a package of ground beef
2) I added a can of chili beans (it included kidney, navy and a third kind)
3) I also added a pack of taco seasoning and the amount of water it instructed to add

Take a tortilla, place some of the filling in the middle, top with grated cheese (I used cheddar) and wrap it up like a burrito. I did this by folding the bottom up, folding in the right side as tight as possible, folding down the top, and bringing the left side over to the right as tight as possible.
Heat some oil (I used safflower) in a skillet over med-high. Just enough to over the pan. Place a burrito in the oil and cook until browned, flip and brown the other side.
Serve with salsa and sour cream.

(is anyone else thinking about that part in Napolean Dynamite when Summer says "So, who wants to eat chimichangas next year? Not me")

Since I had company I followed up dinner with dessert. I made the Bananas Foster, from Everyday Food. This particular recipe involved heating dark rum and brown sugar together until they form a syrup. Then placing cut bananas into the syrup to heat them through. It's served with ice cream. Delicious. Sadly my pictures turned out pretty crappy, so if you want to look at them all delicious-like, click on the link.

No comments: