Monday, December 28, 2009

Holiday

Merry after Christmas! I hope everyone had a great holiday, mine was great but very busy. Friday was spent with family at my sister's house. Saturday was my niece's first birthday so my sister had a party for her that morning. The afternoon and evening I spent at my friend's parents place.
I have talked to a couple people who had nothing to do on the holidays, and no family or loved ones to spend the time with. I'm lucky that not only do I have my own family to spend the holidays with, but I also have my "second family". I have known this certain friend since the time we were five, which means we're going on twenty one years of friendship! Since my move to Edmonton, her family has really made me feel a part of their own which means a lot to me. They also really know how to cook which means a lot to my stomach.
After the two very busy days, that had been preceded by a couple of very hectic weeks at work, I took a day off. I mean a day off from EVERYTHING, I brushed my teeth and that was the end of any activity that day. I sat my butt on the couch and I read and watched television and movies all day. Which included Moonlighting. Recently I have had a mild Bruce Willis obsession, and due to this I have discovered the 1985 TV series. I heart Bruce Willis, and I am also loving this show.
Today was my last day before going back to work. I went with my sister (have I mentioned I have three of them, and whenever I say 'my sister' that it isn't always the same one?) to see Sherlock Holmes. I really enjoyed this movie, and Robert Downey Jr isn't bad either. The movie had its funny moments, and for anyone who is concerned about bad language, I don't remember there being any.
Over the course of the weekend, I did receive some presents. I have this somewhat weird, possibly immature, habit of laying my Christmas presents out on my kitchen table for a couple days before putting them all away. I didn't really know why until my grandpa had mentioned "You're just getting used to them". The story behind that is whenever my grandmother gets a new item of clothing she has to "get used to it". She will not wear this item when it's new, rather she waits for a couple weeks or so.
When my grandmother saw my loot out on the table and commented that my apartment was too full, I mentioned that I just like to put my presents out on the table for a couple days. She kind of scoffed at me, until my grandpa came to my defense, and I then replied "Yes, I am just getting used to them, which is something you should understand".
One present that I had received was a baking dish from Le Creuset. Upon opening it, I had mentioned that I could now make a smaller lasagna than my usual one. Which is what I did tonight.

Rebekah's Lasagna Take 2
1) I browned a couple strips of bacon (chopped) in a pan, then removed them once browned.
2) I took three hot Italian sausages, removed the casings, and placed them in the bacon pan. I broke the sausages up and cooked them like they were ground beef
3) I added half of a medium onion, chopped, and sauteed for a couple minutes
4) I added a clove of chopped garlic, a can of tomato sauce, pepper, salt, crushed red chili, and Italian seasoning
5) I added the bacon back to the sauce
6) I sprayed the baking dish with non-stick spray and placed enough tomato sauce on the bottom to cover it
7) I then placed in a layer of ready-to-bake lasagna noodles, a layer of the meat sauce, a layer of cottage cheese, and a layer of grated mozza cheese
8) repeat
9) Sprinkle on some grated Parmesan cheese, and bake for 45-60 minutes @ 350 F


I absolutely love this dish, it's red and Le Creuset, two of my favorite things. The lasagna, on the other hand, was only so so. If you are going to make this, I recommend using a mix of sausage and ground beef or pork. The sausage was pretty overpowering and tasted heavily of fennel seeds. I did like the use of cottage cheese instead of my usual ricotta. Mainly because cottage cheese was cheaper, I am Dutch after all, but also because it spread easier during assembly. Overall I gave the lasagna a 6/10. Tasty to eat, but I wouldn't use it as a dish to impress.

No comments: