Saturday, December 19, 2009

Someone's in the Kitchen

Initially I sat down at my computer to write a post about the pizza I had made earlier this week. Then I realized the cord to transfer my pictures from my camera to my computer was sitting on my desk at work.
I have a tendency to forget a lot of things. For instance, I have every intention of bringing home my dishes from lunch everyday, but usually I forget until I have about a week and a half's worth of dishes sitting in the office fridge. This has been a problem since I was a kid and was always in trouble because I would never remember to get any permission slips signed until the last possible moment. I have no peppermint tea in my apartment because the last eight times I have been to the grocery store I have forgotten I was out of my favorite tea. And since I have forgotten to bring home my camera cord, this is no longer a post about pizza.
Instead, I am going to show you all where it is that I do my cooking. Most of my readers have probably seen my kitchen, since my readers mainly consist of close friends and family, but those of you who haven't seen it...here goes:
I love the red color of my kitchen. Red is my all time favorite color, and I wanted to make my kitchen some place I wanted to be. (Maybe kitchen is a generous term considering how small it is, but small hallway with all the kitchen appliances and sink takes too long to say). I hate large spaces of white, so the fridge is littered with all sorts of things. The sign on the left side says "Parking for Dutch Only", an homage to my heritage. The knife set is something I had begged for for years. Whenever it was Christmas or my birthday, if someone mentioned they got me a gift, I would ask "Is it knives?". Finally, someone took the hint and got me a set of KitchenAid knives.
The piece of counter to the right of the sink is where I do all my prep work. I have set the television to angle towards the kitchen so I can watch it while I make dinner. Perhaps that's why I manage to cut my fingers as much as I do. The spice rack holds about less than half of the spices that I have, the rest are in my pantry/storage closet/laundry room. The spray bottle is not for food, rather it's for spraying my dog when she starts to bark.
My two favorite things in my kitchen are my KitchenAid stand mixer, and blender. For a while my stand mixer didn't get a lot of use. Recently I have been using it more and more, it's so handy for some of the most menial kitchen tasks. Tasks like making meringue.
So there you have it. My kitchen is small, but it's big enough to get the job done.

2 comments:

Tante said...

Hi Rebek, as I was reading your post I thought of the orange juice explosion that took place in your bedroom... it was an oopsy daisy.

Rebekah A.d. said...

That's what happens when you forget to bring lunch dishes into the kitchen for months on end. I bet there's still fermented OJ on the walls