Thursday, January 6, 2011

Spice-Rubbed Fish with Lemony Rice















Yesterday was not my day. I woke up, got ready and came to work. Once I got there someone (clearly a male, since no woman would say this) said to me "rough night?". No, it was not a rough night. I slept well, and for a decent amount of time. So clearly, it was just my appearance that was rough.
I work in a field that is pretty well dominated by men. They have this ability to say or do the dumbest things. One of my favorites is "did you get your haircut?" and then when I say yes, their reaction is a nod or grimace. A woman would know that even if you hate the haircut, if you brought it up you still say it looks great.
So that was the start of my morning, and the "badness" ended up snowballing until the end of the day when I was making supper at 9 pm. And then things got better, because I made a one pot meal, that took 35 minutes from start to finish, and it was only 348 calories per delicious serving!

Spice-Rubbed Fish with Lemony Rice
adapted from Everyday Food

Ingredients
4 tsp unsalted butter
1 small yellow onion, diced small
1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
1 cup basmati rice - I used jasmine
1/2 tsp poppy seeds (optional) - I opted out
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1 inch pieces - I am not a fan of zucchini so I used a half cup or so of frozen peas
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 pound cod or other firm white-fleshed fish, cut into four fillets - I used cod, which was already in fillets in a pack of 3
2 tsp Coriander Spice Mix (see below)

Directions:
1) In a medium saucepan, heat butter over medium. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, 4 minutes. Stir in rice and poppy seeds (if using) and cook 1 minute. Stir in lemon zest, juice, broth and zucchini and season with salt and pepper. (If you are using peas instead of zucchini, do not add the peas right now)
2) Bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 13 minutes. Sprinkle spice mix over fish. (If using peas, add the peas after the 13 minutes and stir before doing the following) Arrange fish snugly in a single layer, spice side up, on top of rice, cover, and cook until rice is tender and fish is opaque throughout, 5 to 7 minutes.

Coriander spice mix: In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup ground coriander, 1 tbsp each ground ginger, paprika and coarse salt, 1.5 tsp ground cumin, and 1/4 tsp ground pepper. (Store in an airtight container up to 3 months)


















This turned out really good. The fish was flavourful, and the rice had a similar creaminess to risotto. The recipe notes said that if you wanted some heat you could use Hungarian paprika or 1.5 tsp of cayenne pepper in place of the paprika. I just added cayenne pepper to the spice mix.
This is a really great weeknight (or late night) meal. Minimal cleanup and very little time involved in this recipe.

No comments: