Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup















My sister S had a touch of the flu last week. Since I am an awesome sister, I went over to her place to make her some chicken noodle soup. I did neglect to take a picture of the soup after I had made it, so this picture was taken the next day at work. The bowl is from Tupperware and was given to me for Christmas. If you look carefully you can see that the calendar underneath is marked on my very favorite day of the year, my birthday. (January 30!)

Rebekah's Chicken Noodle Soup
serves a small army of 9-10

Ingredients
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 carrots, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
3 stalks of celery, sliced thinly
approx. 9 cups of reduced sodium chicken stock (I used 3 cartons of chicken stock)
1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat shredded into small pieces
2 tsp seasoning salt
2 cups uncooked whole wheat macaroni
1 cup canned lentils

Directions:
1) Heat the oil over medium high in your largest pot. Add the onion and saute until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the carrot and celery and saute for another 2 minutes. Add the chicken, salt, and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.

2) Meanwhile cook the pasta according to package directions.

3) After the soup has simmered, add the canned lentils and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the cooked pasta and remove from the heat, and serve.

I found it to be pretty tasty, but I felt that the soup lacked a certain something. When I packaged some leftovers for work I added about 2 tsp of Sriracha sauce to it. The next day the soup tasted perfect, so I would highly recommend serving with Sriracha for people who want a little bit of heat.
This is also more of a chicken noodle stew, just add more broth if you would like your soup to be thinner.

2 comments:

Tante said...

Hi Rebek, did the noodles go soggy? or like granny's soup were the noodles perfect?

Rebekah A.d. said...

The noodles didn't go soggy, but if you were going to freeze the soup, I would recommend freezing without the noodles, and adding them after thawing.