Friday, May 21, 2010

Steak Sandwich


I was talking to an idiot the other day. How did I know he was an idiot? He said "I don't eat red meat very much, and when I do it has to be well done. Like burnt well done" This never ceases to amaze me. How can you take something as beautiful as a steak, and do something so terrible like overcook it? You might as well eat shoe leather. I feel very strongly about this, and those of you who know me, know that I have a hard time keeping my opinions to myself. Especially when someone does something terrible like order a steak well done. There is nothing "well done" about it.
The other day I made a steak sandwich. And it was beautiful. The following recipe made enough for 2 sandwiches.
Rebekah's Steak Sandwich
1) I took a New York strip (my favorite) rubbed it with olive oil, and seasoned with salt and pepper. I placed it in a skillet over medium high for 3 minutes on each side.
2) Remove the steak from the pan and place it under foil. Add half a sliced onion to the skillet with a small amount of extra virgin olive oil, lower heat to medium.
3) When the onions have been on for a minute or two add some sliced mushrooms. (I used 4)
4) When the onions and mushrooms are slightly browned (2 or 3 minutes), remove from heat and sprinkle with a bit of dried thyme.
5) Slice the steak thinly removing the fatty pieces. The steak should be medium rare. If you desire to cook it more, do not waste your money on a New York strip. Buy some cheaper steak to ruin.
6) Take the bun of your choice (I used multi grain ciabatta rolls) split it open and toast under the broiler until golden brown.
7) Mix together horseradish and Dijon mustard. I used roughly a tbsp of horseradish, and roughly 4 tbsp of Dijon mustard. Spread as much as you desire on the toasted bun.
8) Place about half of the steak meat on the bun, and top with about half of the onion and mushroom mix.
DELICIOUS! No joke, this sandwich was pretty awesome.
You must make this!
To go with it I debated a few things. I thought about sweet potato fries, but anytime I make something like fries in the oven that are crisp when they come out, they are always squishy when I heat them up the next day.
Then I remembered a dish that my aunt makes. And I love it. So here it is, and this should serve roughly 4 people.
Tante's Beans:
1) In a sauce pot (sort of large), fry up 2 slices of chopped bacon. You do not want them to be crisp, once they start to turn brown add half a cup of chopped onion to the pot.
2) After about a minute add a can of pineapple tidbits. (I drained the pineapple first, but you can do what you like)
3) Add a can of rinsed kidney beans, and a can of brown beans (I used the Heinz maple kind)
4) Add 1 tsp of mustard (I used mustard powder), 2 tbsp chili sauce (I didn't have any so I used ketchup) and a tbsp of brown sugar. Since the beans and ketchup were sweet enough I added molasses instead. Call me crazy.
Lower heat, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.
I love love love love love these! They are sooooo good! I would recommend that you stir the pot every few minutes. I just let mine simmer and then after a half hour I went to check it, and a layer had burnt to the sides. I managed to salvage a fair bit, but if you don't stir it, you will end up with something like this:
Not good.

6 comments:

Tante said...

Maybe you can make your Tante that sammy one day, it looks D-LISH...

Rebekah A.d. said...

yes. I will make it for you. And you can make the beans for me to go with it, uncharred preferably.

Erika said...

I put provolone on my steak sammies.

Rebekah A.d. said...

Well you are a pro. HAHAHA. pun intended

Erika said...

Gran told me to tell you that you can't call people idiots not even on your internet writings.

Rebekah A.d. said...

Sorry Gran. I suppose I should hate anything either?