Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Rebekah's Curry


On Monday night, after my terribly long day at work, I wanted nothing more than to just crawl into bed and sleep for the entire night. However, I knew that I would end up waking up a few hours later and unable to sleep for the rest of the night and I would feel worse the next day.
The weather was sort of chilly, so I thought I would make something warm and spicy. I made a curry, without using a recipe, so this recipe is my own.
Rebekah's Curry
If serving this with brown rice, put the rice on to boil before starting to assemble the curry. If using white rice, start making the rice after the curry has been assembled.
The following serves 4-5
1) Cut up two chicken breasts into bite size chunks. Heat just enough oil in a pan to cover the pan, on medium high. Add the chicken to the pan and brown on all sides (roughly 2 minutes)
2) Add an onion that has been cut into thin strips. Saute until the onion is soft and brown (roughly 2 minutes)
3) Add 4 tbsp of Patak's Madras Curry Paste. Stir to cover the chicken.
4) Add a can of coconut milk. Stir to melt the thick cream that forms at the top of the can.
5) Add a can of chopped tomatoes and a chopped bell pepper.
6) Bring to a boil, lower heat, and cover.
I simmered mine until the rice was ready, for close to 40 minutes, and it was delicious. It would probably still be delicious even if it only had simmered for 20 minutes. The only thing I would have changed from the above recipe, is I would have added the bell pepper close to the end, instead of letting it get so soft from being in there so long.
If you wanted you could also add diced carrots, or some frozen peas. (Add the carrots with the curry paste, add the peas 5 minutes before taking it off the heat). I also wanted to top it with some cashews, but I forgot to get some at the store. It wasn't too spicy, so if you wanted more bite to it, add a sliced chili.
Overall though, this dish was great.
NOTE: This curry is gluten free. I double checked all the ingredients.

No comments: