Friday, May 14, 2010

Lettuce Wraps, Take 2


I found a recipe for chicken and cashew lettuce wraps. Cashews are possibly one of my favorite things. I used to think that a stir fry isn't complete without peanuts, but peanuts don't even compare to the deliciousness of cashews.
The wraps were easy enough to make. The recipe called for using an onion, but I used green onion instead. The sauce on the chicken is made with soy sauce, rice vinegar, and brown sugar, and I think that green onions really compliment those flavors. Not too mention, green onions taste great.
I also served them with matchstick carrots, as the wraps themselves seemed to be lacking in the vegetable department.
My biggest problem with this recipe was the lettuce. Sobeys had moved things around and the iceberg lettuce wasn't where it usually is. I finally found some that looked decent, but once at the till I figured out that I had accidentally grabbed the organic lettuce. I have no problem if people want to eat organic, but I don't really buy into it. Especially since it costs a RIDICULOUS amount of money. $2.49 for a head of lettuce? Get real.
I brought the stupid thing home anyways, and when I started to take it apart I realized close to every leaf was covered in brown spots. Oh, how appetizing. I managed to salvage some of it, but overall most of it went into the trash.
I'll take my chances with the inorganic from now on, I haven't ever bought a head of lettuce that was covered in so much brown.
Besides the disappointing lettuce, the wraps were really good. I recommend adding some more veggies like julienned bell peppers, or matchstick carrots to them. If you use green onion, keep some of it aside to sprinkle on top in their raw form.

3 comments:

Tante said...

is "inorganic" a word? I love it if it is... if it is not I still love it but won't use it in scrabble.

Erika said...

I believe you even called peanuts the croutons of stirfry.

Rebekah A.d. said...

I wrote unorganic, and then spell check corrected it to inorganic... Perhaps I was right and spell check was wrong?

Erika. Indeed I did. They still are, but peanuts are like the tasteless small croutons, and cashews are like croutons fresh from the oven.