Monday, March 22, 2010

Mom's Mac n Cheese

I'm in my twenties, so a typical Saturday night involves getting dressed up, and hitting the "tizz town" with my millions of friends. So I wish. My typical Saturday night is more reminiscent of a Cathy comic. *Weeps* This last Saturday I started my night by picking up dog food. Right now I just have one really adorable dog, but I can see in the future years having about five of them. (I'm allergic to cats so becoming the crazy cat lady isn't an option) Then I went to the grocery store. I bought milk, and ice cream bars. Jealous yet? Then I went and ordered stir fry from Wok Box. I love Wok Box. I always get the Singapore Cashew stir fry with Hokkein noodles and shrimp. And an order of pot stickers. While I wait for the food to be ready, I walk next door to the Blockbuster. Saturday nights are the worst night to go to Blockbuster. If you don't rent movies before supper time on Friday night, I guarantee all the good ones will be gone. Which they were. Also everyone in there is all coupled up and judging your sad, single behaviour.
I then went home, and changed into my sweet flannel pants. Then I popped in a Gilmore Girls DVD. I watched several episodes, in my flannel pants, eating stir fry and ice cream. It's an exciting life that I lead.
Clearly the picture above is not Singapore Cashew with Hokkein noodles. Macaroni and Cheese casserole is another one of my mom's recipes that I make time and time again. I find it easier to make than other macaroni and cheese dishes, and it has a sentimental value to me.
To make:
1) preheat the oven to 350 F
2) cook 3-4 cups dried macaroni (or small shells) according to package directions
3) Add just under 1/4 cup milk, an egg, and a tbsp of ketchup to the bottom of a baking dish
4) When the pasta is al dente (not overcooked, the pasta still has a bite to it), drain
5) add half the pasta to the baking dish and stir. Top with some grated cheddar (I use marble because I love it). The amount is up to you, but you should have the pasta covered. Top that with the remaining pasta. Add some more cheese. Break up a piece or two of sliced bread and place them on top.
6) Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes
The results are not as creamy as most macaroni and cheese. I love it though. I also eat it with ketchup, but I spared you the sight of it. Some people may prefer to sprinkle breadcrumbs on top, instead of having croutons, and that's ok too.

3 comments:

Erika said...

You forgot to say you did all these things with your sister on Saturday night.

Rebekah A.d. said...

I thought mentioning that, and having to admit we were in different cities at the time would make it even sadder.

Erika said...

It shows how much we mean to each other, I did say we could watch the same movie and then text each other about, just like watching one in the same room!