Monday, March 15, 2010

Caramel Chicken

Last week I ended up coming down with a cold. I haven't been cooking much, unless you count making canned soup as cooking. I have been spending most of my time feeling sorry for myself and trying to convince my mom to come up to Edmonton and take care of me. No such luck.
Before I got sick I made Vietnamese Caramel Chicken. The recipe in the link uses soy sauce, and I used the fish sauce it originally called for. The recipe also says it will take 5- 7 minutes for the sugar to turn the color of iced tea. They are lying. It takes less than 2 minutes for the sugar to turn black. So my best advice is to watch the sugar very carefully. This would have been a good chicken dish if it didn't have the burnt taste to it.

If this picture looks weird to you, it's because no matter what I do, Blogger uploads it sideways. And I can't flip it. I am not talented at the Internet. Although one could say with the amount of burnt dishes I have made, I am not talented in the kitchen either.
I served this with a salad made of sliced cucumber, sliced red onion, and cashews. They were tossed with a dressing made of 1/4 cup rice vinegar, a pinch of red chili flakes, and a bit of sugar.
Overall the taste of the chicken was good. If it wasn't burnt, I bet it would have been really good. The salad was good on the side.

No comments: