Friday, March 26, 2010

Cute Cake


This past week has been extremely chaotic for me. It's been a whirlwind of ups and downs and I have neglected my blog in the meantime. Last Friday I had intended on blogging about a very important event, and I missed it, and haven't been able to make up for it yet. So let's all suspend reality for a minute and pretend it is March 19 again. Ready...



Like I said, an important event in history. This might surprise you, given the high quality of the image, but I made it using my impressive skills in Paint.

The other night I made a Tortilla Pie. I loosely based it off this. Since it's loosely based, and not the same with only a couple tweaks I will write the recipe below for what I made.

Rebek's Tortilla Pie
1) In a large skillet brown up a pack of ground beef. Once browned, add a package of taco seasoning, half a cup of water, a can of kidney beans (rinsed), and a can of black beans (also rinsed). Add some chili powder as well if you like things to be a bit spicy.
2) You will need tortillas, I used a whole wheat flour variety. Pick a round baking dish the same size as your tortillas. Place a tortilla on the bottom, and spread a thin layer of salsa over it. Layer some of the meat mix on next. Sprinkle with cheese. (I was feeling lazy so I used a pre-grated Kraft Mexican mix). Top with another tortilla, repeat the salsa, meat, and cheese layers. Do it again. And again. For the very top, sprinkle the cheese generously.
3) Place in a preheated oven (350 F) for 20 minutes or so. Until the cheese is melty, and the top tortilla is browned and crispy.

This was really tasty. I served it alongside some salsa and and a Cilantro Lime Crema. Which is sour cream with lime juice and cilantro mixed in. If I was feeling lazy, I probably would have added some chopped onion, and a can of tomatoes.

Cute dishes!

I also made Miniature Coffee Cakes. The coffee cake does not taste of coffee. Apparently it is called this because it goes very well alongside coffee. These were fantastic. I did have to tweak a little though. I had no pecans, so I used slivered almonds instead. I did the first part of the recipe in my miniature food processor, but for the mixing I used my stand mixer.
I also only made half the glaze, and added just a wee bit of vanilla to it.

They were great fresh from the oven, as well as the next day. I will be making them again very soon.

No comments: