Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Beef Tacos















There is only one thing that can come close to the love I have for pizza, and that is the love I have for tacos. Tacos combine a few of my favorite things like beef, cheese and not using a fork. Which brings me to the real reason why I love tacos so much, which is that no one can eat tacos neatly. It is the only meal where I am not the only person at the table making a hot mess of themselves.

The following is for my sister E, who loves when I demonstrate my mad Paint skills on the Internet.

Sad but true. I am a mess.

Beef Tacos
from Everyday Food
serves 4

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon canola oil

1 large onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeno chile, minced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 pound ground beef
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas  (I used flour instead)

Optional Toppings: cilantro, iceberg lettuce, diced jalapenos, pickled jalapenos, Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream (I used cheddar cheese)

Directions:
1) Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and jalapeno; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.


2)Add garlic, chili powder, and cumin to skillet; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add beef; cook, breaking up meat with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes; simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.

3) Meanwhile, warm tortillas in a dry skillet over medium heat or directly over a gas burner, about 30 seconds on each side. At the table, fill tortillas with beef mixture and desired garnishes. (I just used the microwave to heat the flour tortillas)

These were pretty good. I skipped adding salt and pepper, which I regretted upon eating the tacos. They could have used the salt. My only other complaint was that they weren't spicy enough. I think next time I would add some Sriracha sauce to it.

3 comments:

Kassandra said...

I want to eat one!

Rebekah A.d. said...

You should. But you should use corn tortillas like in the recipe, not the flour ones I did.

Tante said...

the tortilla's from the Tortilla Factory at California Adventure would actually be the best but unfortunately they closed that tour. Glad to see you are back posting...