Thursday, October 14, 2010

Apples, No Pie, a la Mode















I'm just going to get down to the nitty gritty, this dessert was so good I made it twice in the same week. Both times I served it to company. The second time I made it, I accidentally browned the butter in the initial stage, I discarded it and added new butter which was a bit brown from the remnants of my mistake, but it still turned out really good.
This has all the makings of an apple pie (crust less, obviously) but it only takes about 10 minutes from start to finish to prepare.
The type of ice cream for a la mode part is important. If you are going to use vanilla ice cream, find the vanilla ice cream with flecks of real vanilla bean in it. If it doesn't have the vanilla bean in it, you are purchasing an inferior product.

Apples, No Pie, a la Mode
recipe by Rachael Ray

Ingredients:
•3 tablespoons butter

•1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, grated or minced
•3 Golden Delicious apples, quartered, cored and sliced
•2 teaspoons lemon juice
•3 tablespoons brown sugar
•1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (eyeball it)
•1 pint vanilla ice cream
•1 canister whipped cream

Preparation
Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the ginger and apples to warm butter, squeeze a little lemon juice over the pan and sauté 4-5 minutes. Add brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to the apples and cook for another two minutes.
Spoon apples into dessert dishes and top with ice cream and whipped cream. Garnish whipped cream with a pinch more cinnamon or nutmeg.

I skipped the whipped cream. For the most part I am not whipped cream's biggest fan. Although, this past weekend my friend M made a whipped cream with spiced rum in it that was to DIE FOR, or DIE HARD for. Anyways, I find that whipped cream and ice cream in the same dish to be too much.
I also used whatever apples I wanted. I believe I used ones with the name pink in their title (I'm a little fuzzy on the exact name), but that was just for the pretty color. I don't think it really matters what apple you use.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Oh man, so delish!!!!