Monday, August 9, 2010

Taco Cups















I was watching Eat, Shrink and Be Merry the other night. On the show two sisters always compete with a restaurant's signature dish. The restaurant makes it the way they usually do, and the sisters make the recipe over in a healthy way.
The episode I watched was taco salad, and it inspired the following.

Rebekah's Taco Cups
Makes 8 cups, serves 4

Ingredients:
1/2 lb ground beef
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
8 small whole wheat tortillas (the 8 inch kind)
cooking spray (or oil)
Pico de Gallo (recipe below)
2 avocados, diced and tossed with the juice from half a lime

1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Take a muffin pan and spray it with cooking spray. Set the tortillas into the muffin holes in such a way that they form a cup, or bowl. Brush the tortillas with oil, place in the oven and bake for about 5-10 minutes, until the tortillas are golden.
2) Meanwhile, in a skillet brown the ground beef. When brown, add the chili powder and cumin.
3) Divide the ground beef between the tortilla cups. Top with cheese, diced avocado and pico de gallo.














Aren't these cute? They are a very refreshing and tasty supper.
The pico de gallo was adapted from The Pioneer Woman. I used 4 Roma tomatoes, a medium onion, 2 jalapenos, the juice of half a lime and no cilantro. I do not like cilantro.

I brought leftovers into work the next day. The tortilla cups maintained a sort of crisp texture, but I tore them into small pieces, topped with the ground beef and cheese and reheated the dish in the microwave. I topped that with pico de gallo and avocado, that I had packed separately from the other ingredients.



















That is some fine china we are rocking at the office.

4 comments:

Erika said...

I have seen this episode! They do look cute!

Anonymous said...

Those sound great. I saw that episode also. And I agree with you about cilantro. YUCK.

Cousin Sandra

Rebekah A.d. said...

Cilantro is one of those love it or hate it items, and I can't stand it!

And yes, these are super cute! I prefer the pico de gallo over any storebought salsa

Gerri said...

LOVE the china...the food looks yummy too. Will have to try soon!