Thursday, August 5, 2010

Calzone















Sorry for the lack of posting that has been going on lately. I am still here, and I am trying to cook when I can. I made calzones the other night. Ever since my friend A made these for me, I have been craving them in a bad way.

Rebekah's Calzones
makes 4
Ingredients:
C's Pizza Dough (I substituted half of the all purpose flour for whole wheat flour)
3 strips of bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup ricotta cheese
handful of spinach leaves, chopped into thin ribbons
1 bell pepper, diced (I used half of a red one and half of a yellow one, but any color will work)
half a medium onion, diced
4 or 5 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup of grated cheese (I used cheddar because it's what I had, but mozzarella works too)

To make:
1) Preheat the oven to 350 F
2) Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium high until crisp. Remove from the skillet and let drain on a paper towel
3) Mix all the ingredients, including the crisp bacon but excluding the pizza dough, in a bowl
4) Take the pizza dough and split into 4 even balls.
5) Line a baking sheet with foil, and spray with cooking spray. (Or you can use real oil)
6) Roll out a ball of dough into a circle. Place 1/4 of the filling on half of the circle, leaving about an inch of "crust". Fold the empty half over the filling. Pinch the crusts together and gently fold them up and in. It's the same motion as rolling up the rim to win. Repeat with the remaining dough balls.
7) Place the calzones on the baking sheet and brush with oil. I sprinkled some Italian seasoning on top just for looks.
Serve with marinara sauce, pizza sauce, or dipping sauces purchased from Panago.














These are so delicious! I like the calzones better than the strombolis, but both are fantastic meals.

No comments: