Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Pancakes


Throughout the week my breakfast consists mainly of cereal. I love cereal, but when the weekend rolls around I love to make more substantial breakfasts like bacon and eggs or pancakes.
I once made these pancakes for D, when she got stranded in Edmonton for a week. It was right around the time that egg nog was available in the grocery store, and I thought it would be Christmassy to make the pancakes with egg nog.
Problem. Egg nog is way thicker than milk, so the batter didn't actually pour, it kind of just glopped. The outside of the pancakes were dark, and the insides were raw. I tried to convince her that I have successfully made pancakes before, and it was the egg nog that tripped me up, but I don't know if she believed me.
The pancake recipe comes from Everyday Food. I put E in charge of making them this past weekend, as we had company and I didn't want another one of my guests to think I don't know how to make pancakes. (Sure, she can make a mean beef bourguignon, but pancakes allude her?)

To top it off I made a berry sauce. I used about a cup and a half of fresh berries (blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries). I put the berries in a saucepan and sprinkled them with about a tbsp of sugar. I put them on the stove over medium heat. The berries end up breaking down and releasing all their juices, which turns into a pretty tasty sauce as is. This was not enough for me, and I added a generous splash of rum to the mix. I let it bubble away for about 5-7 minutes before removing from the heat. (If you prefer your berry sauce rumless, you could add orange juice for flavor)

Isn't my mini gravy boat the cutest thing you have ever seen?
Since pancakes with berries would be incomplete without whipped cream, I took some Cool Whip, mixed in a dash of cinnamon and a splash of vanilla, and served that alongside the pancakes.

No comments: