Friday, June 18, 2010

Greek Salad and Pitza


One of the great things about the Farmer's Market is the samples. If there is something I love more than food, it is free food. I could have spent about an hour at the Happy Camel stand, doing some sampling. The Happy Camel is a Mediterranean pita bakery and deli in Edmonton. I had tried the greatest feta dip while I was there, but I figured that I would pick some up later at their store. This turned out to be a mistake, since the store didn't have any while I was there.
I did, however, get some hummus since they have one of the greatest ones I have tasted. I also picked up a package of their Sesame Za'atar (or flatbread), to make pita pizzas, or pitzas.
My original plan for the pitzas was to have the feta spread as the "sauce". Since I didn't get any I skipped having a sauce altogether, and just made them as follows:

Rebekah's Pitzas
(Serves 4)
1) Take two chicken breasts and dice them. Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet, add the chicken, and cook until browned, about two minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and a tsp of dried oregano. Remove from heat.
2) I took four pitas and divided the chicken on top them. I topped each with a handful of sliced grape tomatoes, some feta that I had cubed, and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. I placed them in the oven at 350 F for roughly five minutes until the parm cheese had melted.
3) Once I removed them from the oven I sprinkled some slivered fresh basil on top.
They were very tasty, though I still would have preferred to have the feta spread on them as well.
To go with the pitzas I made a Greek salad. While some Greek salads contain olives, mine does not because I am not a big fan of olives.
Rebekah's Greek Salad
1) In a bowl combine:
half of an English cucumber, diced
half of a red onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, also diced
about half a cup of feta that has been cubed (though feel free to add more, feta never hurt anybody
half of a pint of grape tomatoes. I sliced mine, but you can leave them whole or halved
the juice of 1 lemon
about 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
about 1 tbsp of dried oregano
2) Stir together, and let sit in the fridge for a half hour before serving
To drink, I made a flavored club soda. In a glass I placed a sliced lime, a handful of fresh mint leaves, and some raspberries. I filled the glass with club soda. Really easy, and tastes really fresh.

No comments: