Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Salmon Burgers With Yogurt Dill Sauce



















I was flipping through some of my older issues of Everyday Food when I found this recipe for salmon burgers. I know that there are some great benefits (omega 3 fatty acids, for instance) to eating salmon, and I generally like it, but I don't eat it very often. I tend to overlook salmon as a protein that I could be eating for dinner. This recipe caught my eye though, and I made it that night.
The salmon is mixed with horseradish which gives the patty a considerable bite of flavor, but doesn't completely cover up the taste of the salmon. The yogurt dill sauce is a fantastic condiment, and the whole burger comes in at roughly 330 calories. What's not to like about a healthy, filling and delicious meal?
(click "read more" for the recipes for the sides I served with the burgers, and a demonstration of my awesome Paint skills)

Salmon Burgers with Yogurt Dill Sauce
adapted from Everyday Food
serves 4

Ingredients:
1 lb skinless salmon fillet
1 Tbsp prepared white horseradish
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 thinly sliced scallions (I used 5 or 6)
2 Tbsp plain dried bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 cup plain, low-fat yogurt
1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
4 whole wheat hamburger buns (I used white kaiser rolls)

1) Turn the broiler on in the oven
2) Dice the salmon. The easiest way to do this is by slicing the fillet into thin slices, then slicing them into thin slices vertically, and then horizontally. I will demonstrate in Paint.












3) In a medium bowl mix the diced salmon, horseradish, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg, scallions, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Stir the mixture together gently with a fork.
4) Form the mix into 4 patties. Roughly 3.5 inches by 1 inch. (Note: The mix will not form a patty that holds together like a ground meat patty, it binds together during the cooking process). Place the patties on a foil lined baking sheet. Broil for 7 minutes, until they are browned on top and opaque throughout.
5) Meanwhile, stir together the yogurt and dill and season with salt and pepper.

Serve the burgers on toasted buns, with the yogurt dill sauce and lettuce. (I skipped the lettuce)
















I really liked these. My sister R was fairly doubtful about how they would taste, but she liked them as well. I could see them being a fairly regular dinner at my house.

I served roasted butternut squash and roasted yam "fries" with the burgers.
I made the squash by peeling and cubing a butternut squash. I tossed it with 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and 1 Tbsp brown sugar. I peeled the yam and cut it into fry sized sticks and tossed them with 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, a few dashes of chili powder and the juice from half a lime. I places all of it on a baking sheet and roasted them at 415 F for about 40 minutes, until tender. Then I squeezed another lime half over the yam sticks and seasoned both the yam and squash with salt.




















These aren't the greatest pictures ever, but I was really happy with how those two sides turned out. Yams and squash are also items that I don't often make, but I hope to start making more.

2 comments:

Erika said...

I think you need a bit more practice till your paint skills are as good as hyperbole and a half's.

Rebekah A.d. said...

I taught her how to use it in the first place